[PEN-L:10216] Re: [stormingheaven] ebonics?

David Jennings [MSAI] djenning at ai.uga.edu
Thu Aug 19 14:44:06 PDT 1999

Sorry for butting in, but ...

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>As I said before, my criticism was directed not at the nature of Ebonics

I quote your earlier post:

"Impoverished reality of an underclass produces impoverished consciousness and impoverished means of communications."

I don't think that its unfair or paranoid to view this as tantamount to saying that AAVE is an inherently "impoverished" language or dialect. As such, this criticism seems directed explicitly against the "nature of Ebonics", and indeed of speakers of AAVE. You can reiterate all you want your (somewhat facile) criticism of "campus radical" armchair sophistry, but it does not justify your substantive claims regarding AAVE.

Still a bit stunned, David