[PEN-L:10216] Re: [stormingheaven] ebonics?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Aug 23 08:12:14 PDT 1999

At 11:39 AM 8/21/99 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>"liberals" in the adminsitration or even on the faculty? Outside of a
>few tenured radicals in English departments here & there, most U.S.
>academics are Clintonish centrists at the leftmost. Just who are
>these campus liberals that haunt your fantasies?

True. But I made no statement about the number of liberal academics. Instead, I implied that IMHO the academic liberals and leftists (whatever their number) are more concerned with symbols than material reality.

A case in point: a contributor to this list did not object to the existence of homelessness - which is abominable in a society that experiences overproduction of almost anything. Instead, she was concerned about such amenities like shithouses for the homeless in public parks. It seems like a lifestyle being preserved at the expense of quality of life.

wojtek