drug-o-nomics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 25 07:19:44 PDT 1999

Is it not at least a reasonable hypothesis to assume that the war on drugs is intended to create the effects we see -- that it is in fact successful.

The effects we see are more and more powerful police departments, intensification of racism, a vast prison complex, reinforcement of the ideological ascription of social problems to individual action, a vast reservoir of topics for tv and movies. So the question Why the war on drugs? would become the question: Why are these effects desirable?

Carrol