drug-o-nomics

alex lantsberg wideye at ziplink.net
Wed Aug 25 14:20:18 PDT 1999

Is it not at least a reasonable hypothesis to assume that the war

on drugs is intended to create the effects we see -- that it is in

fact successful.

The effects we see are more and more powerful police departments,

intensification of racism, a vast prison complex, reinforcement of

the ideological ascription of social problems to individual action,

a vast reservoir of topics for tv and movies. So the question

Why the war on drugs? would become the question: Why are

these effects desirable?

I remember reading a while back that the points carol makes above were nixon's impetus for starting the "war on drugs." a convenient way to perpetuate institutional racism, while saying that the targets are drugs themselves