murder v. killing.

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Aug 25 11:20:36 PDT 1999

. . . I support abortion but take the Adrienne Asche's position that it crosses the line when one aborts because one does not like the characteristic of the fetus (sex, disability, hair color, whatever else they will know about us in the womb) rather than having the abortion because the conditions in one's life makes that choice necessary to abort ANY fetus. . . .

Your philosophical distinction is clear enough, but in practice it can't hold any weight until we perfect the practice of mind-reading. If the right to choose is the woman's, obviously as science increases its capacity to reveal more about the fetus, this information informs, or deforms, the decision to proceed to pregnancy.

The odiousness of birth selection according to sex, disability, etc. is a social one, but it has no concrete expression unless the fetus has some autonomy. Suppose there was incontrovertible proof that Ms. X planned to abort because the fetus had been determined to be unsatisfactory to her in some way stemming from prejudices we would all see as venal. The law can either ratify or protect this act, or seek to sanction it. If the latter, then choice or rights must be less than absolute.

mbs