murder v. killing.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 25 23:29:02 PDT 1999

Marta:
>I support abortion but take the Adrienne Asche's position that it crosses the
>line when one aborts because one does not like the characteristic of the fetus
>(sex, disability, hair color, whatever else they will know about us in the
>womb) rather than having the abortion because the conditions in one's life
>makes that choice necessary to abort ANY fetus. This way I challenge
>assumptions about disablement as one would challenge the assumption that
>having
>a boy is more desirable than having a girl. I realize many many people view
>disability as a primary reason to abort. Trouble is the more market oriented
>our society becomes, the less willing parents are to have a non "perfect"
>baby.

We may ask what causes an abortion based upon the knowledge of the condition of a fetus. The causes must be two-fold: (1) material (under social conditions where parenting is a very much private affair, it takes more of everything -- time, money, and other resources -- to raise a disabled child); and (2) ideological (disabled persons are often regarded as less than fully human, and certainly unequal to non-disabled persons. The removal of these two causes must make any possible conflict between women's right to abortion and disability rights (as you conceive of it) disappear.

I think of the question of sex-selective abortion in favor of males in the same manner. In a society where men are not regarded as more valuable (materially and ideologically), sex selection in favor of men won't take place.

Yoshie