Words do Hurt recants anti-Political Correctness Crusaders

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Aug 26 07:40:51 PDT 1999

SALON.COM COLUMNIST PLANS $50 MILLION LAWSUIT AGAINST TIME MAG

TIME magazine savaged writer David Horowitz in its August 30th issue with a column by Jack E. White titled: "A Real Live Bigot."

And now Horowitz says he is planning to launch a $50 million lawsuit against TIME magazine for defamation of character!

White was responding SALON.COM column by Horowitz called "Guns Don't Kill Blacks, Other Black People Do."

"My column was about the NAACP's loopy lawsuit against gun manufacturers because of the high homicide rate in inner city black communities," Horowitz says from Los Angeles.

Horowitz is charging that White's column is defamatory and libelous.

In a letter to TIME magazine managing editor Walter Isaacson, Horowitz charged: "Jack White's column in your August 30th issue, which features my image and describes me as "A Real, Live Bigot" is a hateful racial lie...

"In a lifetime of public activity, as an author and activist, I have never written or spoken a word -- or committed an act -- that any reasonable person could call 'bigoted.' Nor has your columnist found a single comment in my article that would justify the hateful headline with which you have stigmatized me to millions of Americans...

Horowitz continued: "What do I tell my African American daughter-law or my three granddaughters when they ask me why an otherwise reputable magazine like TIME would pillory their grandfather as a racial bigot?...

"Obviously to be labeled a 'bigot,' particularly in the wake of Buford Furrow's rampage at a California Jewish Center, is a verbal sentence of death. Jack White's column is a calculated attempt to prevent anyone from ever again listening to what I have to say, particularly on matters of race."

A senior TIME magazine source, who asked not to be identified, told the DRUDGE REPORT on Wednesday that White was exercising his right to freedom of opinion.

"Mr. Horowitz would want to limit the flow of free speech and a free press?" the TIME source asked.

Officially, TIME magazine does not comment on lawsuits that have not yet been filed.

Horowitz is reaching out to his readers for help.

"The fact that White's editors at TIME would go along with a distortion of my record and life, as reckless as this, is an ominous sign not only for American journalism but for America's ethnic mosaic as well," Horowitz writes in an open letter.

David Horowitz, who through his magazine HETERODOXY was a leader in denouncing "political correctness" and any attempt on campus to limit hurtful racial words, has now turned around and announced a lawsuit against TIME magazine for hurting him by calling him a "bigot."

Horowitz really is going down as one of the biggest idiot hypocrites of the age.

--Nathan Newman ==============