RIP, GM organisms?

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Thu Aug 26 22:41:06 PDT 1999

G'day Jim,

>>Europe's biggest bank has advised the world's largest investors to sell
>>their shares in leading companies involved in the development of
>>genetically modified organisms because consumers do not want to buy
>>their products.
>
>Yes, indeed. I agree with Carl. This is a milestone. It shows that the
>barrier to the development of the productive forces (in this case GM
>food) is the capitalist Deutsche Bank.
>
>Deutsche Bank's reactionary attack on GM food should be opposed.

I think your focus is a little off here. Deutsche is happy with GM (I don't think they discuss the dangers of open-air experimentation and chaotic spore distribution, though - but I digress) at the technical level. To be very Marxism-101 about it, Deutsche is as much as admitting that a technology with much potential to cheapen and grow foodstocks is currently not profitable. In short, production for profit currently equals the non-production of a technology with the potential to save and enrich human life.

Which sounds an acceptable account, no?

Cheers, Rob.