Usufruct; was Waco and the Lesser of Two Evils

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Sun Aug 29 11:25:08 PDT 1999

At least one class of use values can't be used up; the ideas which become embodied in artifacts. They actually fit into the usufruct concept very well. One can't use up F=MA or other such formulae which are essential for engineering etc. The Lockean proviso, which Jefferson embellished substantially when he wrote about usufruct and it's relation to ideas definitely fits well with attempts to reconfigure today's IP "rights". KM goes at this from a slightly different angle in Grundrisse [297-310 Penguin Classics].

Ian