Gore: creationism OK

Sun Aug 29 11:55:49 PDT 1999

> It is authoritarian to require. In any case, it takes about
> an hour's reading to get the gist of evolution and natural
> selection; distribution of this information cannot be a great
> problem, and something else must be afoot.

Gordon, you are kidding, correct? This only underlines your haughty unconcern for the knowledge of ordinary people.

At any rate, are you asking what freedom is gained by learning that life has evolved or that natural selection has been a powerful cause of that evolution? One gains the freedom to understand the life around us (including ourselves) in new ways and to think through some explanation for the course of evolution that allows one to the freedom to recognize, instead of deny, the world in which we live. That this will no longer be required of students is doubtless in part due to the fact that such knowledge held by ordinary people is not necessary for the workings of the free market from the perspective of capital. What is necessary is a willingness to tolerate absurd explanations to which the teaching of creationism makes a mighty contribution.

Yours, Rakesh