software as capital

christian a. gregory pearl862 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 29 17:43:42 PDT 1999

I'd like to know more about times mfg productivity rates have reached golden age levels. As I recall, this has happened only recently--since 1990, let's say, and then not consistently. As Doug and the recent story in _the Economist_ suggest, this doesn't necessarily mean they have assimilated technologies better. Could this not also be the effect of lower capital/labor cost? And besides, current OECD statistics say that total productivity growth (as in GDP/hour) is now .7%, where as from 60-73 it was 2.6%.

Fumbling, evidently, quite away from exstacy.

Christian