Stratfor takes the Bhandari line on Korea

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Aug 30 09:36:22 PDT 1999

Linkname: The Media Finally Notices the Asian Recovery

The Media Finally Notice the Asian Recovery

0025 GMT, 990830

It is now official. Asia is having an astonishing recovery. From the

cover of the Economist to the New York Times, the mainstream media are

proclaiming the miracle. Asia has clearly bottomed. It is not at all

clear that this is as astonishing as it appears. From Stratfor's point

of view, this has been obvious for months. For example, we wrote on

April 12, 1999 that: "There is no question but that Asia has bottomed

out for the short-term. What is less clear is whether the bottoming is

merely the beginning of a cyclical upturn in a general downtrend or

whether it represents a historical bottom from which new heights will

be reached. In our view, it is likely the former rather than the

latter."

Most conventional observers of economic development suffer from the

disease we call "straight-line fever." They are constantly

extrapolating trends to the point of absurdity. Asia's growth rates of

the early 1990s were extrapolated to predict that Asia would dominate

the 21st century. After the 1997 crash, these same observers seemed to

believe that Asia would sink into a bottomless pit, never to be seen

again. Now, having finally noticed the obvious, they again draw

straight lines pointing to recovery. The world is far more complicated

than conventional linear thinking would have it.

To begin with, it is a misnomer to talk about an "Asian recovery."

There is no longer anything resembling a monolithic Asia. Asia has

divided into two parts at least. On the one side, there Is Japan and

China. On the other side, there are the others. We pointed this out as

far back as January 18, 1999, when we wrote in a piece entitled "Stock

Market Geopolitics: The New Map of Asia," that "A study of the

behavior of Asian markets indicates to us that the region is dividing

into two parts. One part, the Chinese cluster (China, Hong Kong and

Taiwan) and Japan, is in deep trouble. Their markets indicate ongoing

weakness. The other part, the rest of Asia (Indonesia excepted), is

showing remarkable resilience. Their inability to protect themselves

from depression has forced them to restructure their economies over

the past 18 months and their markets clearly reflect a degree of

success." There are obvious errors in this view. Hong Kong and

Indonesia have both done better than we expected. But the basic

perspective remains intact: Asia has fragmented into two parts, one

unable to recover (China and Japan), the other bouncing back. As we

noted: "A cluster of countries is beginning to show remarkable

resilience. Leading this group is South Korea, which doubled since

bottoming in June 1998 and has now lost only about a quarter of its

maximum value. Following closely behind are Thailand, Malaysia, the

Philippines and Singapore."

Second, it is a misnomer to regard a cyclical bounce in a secular

downtrend as a recovery. Nothing moves in a straight line. There are

always recoveries in severe depressions. For example, there were

several upturns in the U.S. depression of 1929-1940. At each upturn,

analysts rushed to announce that the depression was over and that

happy days were here again. They were wrong and remained wrong until a

secular shift, World War II, adjusted the fundamental economic

realities governing the American economy.

To make some sense of the situation, it is necessary to answer a core

question: why have Japan and China not enjoyed the same degree of

recovery as South Korea and the rest of the countries of Southeast

Asia? There is a simple answer to that question. Japan and China had

substantial "arrestor" systems. The others did not. Japan, the world's

second largest economy, had substantial resources to cushion its

decline, keeping businesses going that should have been bankrupt.

China also had strong arrestor systems, primarily political in nature.

The rest of Asia, being much poorer than Japan and less politically

controlled than China, could not cushion the blow. They fell hard,

fast and brutally. In some countries, like South Korea, the fall was

managed. In others, like Indonesia, it was a free fall. But in all of

those cases, there was an uncontrolled bloodletting.

Depressions serve a necessary if unpleasant purpose in economic life.

They cull the weak. Capital shortages, an inherent element of

depressions, raise the price of capital so that businesses whose rates

of return fall short cannot survive. This destruction of inefficient

businesses increases aggregate efficiency. Inevitably, the economy

begins to recover. Indeed, the normal pattern is a fairly rapid

rebound in which the vigor of the recovery matches the brutality of

the decline--at least in the short run.

Now, in Japan, where depression has not been allowed to exact its

brutal toll, there is no recovery. The long-term malaise goes on. We

expect the same to be the case in China. But in the rest of poorer and

weaker Asia, the bloodletting has had its inevitable and predictable

outcome. A massive rebound driven by the surviving enterprises

utilizing capital that would previously have gone to a larger set of

less productive businesses.

But the real question is not whether this reflex recovery is real. It

is real enough and we could see it happening months ago. Rather, the

question is whether these Asian countries can sustain these rates of

recovery. The first question is internal. The easy gains have been

made. What differentiates a cyclical bounce from a breakout is not the

intensity of the bounce, but its sustainability to new heights. The

economies, as opposed to the markets, are not yet breaking out to new

historical heights. It is therefore impossible to declare a recovery

underway. The only thing that is obvious at this point is that the

reflex bounce has taken place.

We do believe that the non-Japanese, non-Chinese Asia may well have

seen its lows. We are not convinced that they are returning to old

patterns of growth. Rather, with this sharp, reflex bounce complete,

the most likely scenario from our point of view is an extended period

of side-ways movement, cycling within a band. In other words, we think

that the counterpoint to depression will be stagnation.

The reason for this view has to do with the region. We have already

seen the decoupling of the Asian economic region from the rest of the

world. Europe and the United States are clearly marching to the beat

of a different drummer than Japan. Part of the recovery has come from

exports to the booming U.S. market, which is importing record amounts

of goods. But the very fact that imports are at record levels means

that they cannot sustain too much more growth. The low-hanging fruit

in the United States has clearly been picked. Growth in sales to

Europe is hardly likely to pick up the slack. Indeed, the contrary is

the more probable scenario.

That leaves two engines for sustaining growth. The first is domestic

demand. However, given the endemic capital shortages of the region as

well as structural relationships that still favor export based growth,

it is extremely unlikely that these countries can sustain growth

through domestic consumption. Indeed, during a period of capital

shortage, doing so would cut savings rates and further undermine

banking systems that are far from recovered from the excesses of a

generation.

That leaves regional growth. But there is no region. The heart of Asia

is the huge Japanese economy. And that economy, protected as it is by

its static wealth, cannot manage to recover. China might recover

first, but it is less an engine to pull Asia than a competitor to

swamp the other Asian countries. In a region of export-oriented

economies all suffering from capital shortages, only a completely

restructured Japan has the ability to pull the train. And that simply

isn't going to happen.

Thus, in our view, the mainstream media have finally caught up with

news that was happening months ago. Parts of Asia have recovered,

while other parts are still sinking. The parts that have recovered

have done so in a classical, reflexive bounce caused by the sudden

availability of a limited amount of capital for highly efficient

firms. That bounce executed, there is little in the global or regional

picture to sustain development. That does not mean that these

economies will hit new lows. It simply means that they will not be

setting records for economic development. But as we expected, they are

still in much better condition than their wealthier or politically

more powerful neighbors. In other words, talking about an Asian

recovery without dealing with Japan and China is like basing European

economic development on countries other than the UK, France and

Germany. It just sort of misses the point.

info at stratfor.com

© 1998, 1999 Stratfor, Inc. All rights reserved.