Waco and The Lesser of Two Evils

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 17:03:41 PDT 1999

In message <199908291705.RAA31985 at services.infothecary.com>, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> writes
>Rob Schaap asks:
>
>>the thing we never got to hear was what *really* caused the trouble in
>>the first place.

Janet Reno, I thought. This was a case of 'who do you criminalise?' Under the Republican administrations the targets would be black groups like the MOVE commune that was bombed.

That does not quite fit the Clinton administration's hate list. But Koresh fit the bill completely. He was superficially closer in style to the Republican's fundamentalist Christian constituency. It was easy to portray him as a nut (because he was one). And it pressed all the right buttons for urban professionals: millenarian sect, hints of child sexual abuse, etc etc.

I lived in Manchester at the time, where Koresh had recruited from a baptist sect. The Manchester Evening News ran a black-bordered commemorative issue bearing the portrait photographs of the English victims of the Waco siege: a block of nine black faces. Not so different from the MOVE bombing after all. -- Jim heartfield