seattle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 1 00:36:01 PST 1999

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Well, not quite. Then, this, just in from Max Sawicky:
>
>"The chaotic diversity of this movement is perfect for the mass
>production of radicals. There are a hundred ways into this struggle.
>The question will be whether it frays at the other end as well."

It's wonderfully diverse. I'm badly overusing the word inspiring, so I'm going to put it on hiatus after hitting <send>, but it really is.

>I sure hope so. But to keep it from fraying, a leadership committee
>has to emerge from this scene that at least coordinates the rhetoric
>so that the news media gets it right. Media should never be left to
>think on its own.

They can't think on their own! You don't really expect them to report things properly, do you? It's the stinking capitalist hyena press, after all.

>It would sure be nice to think that labor and environment pros could
>force themselves to start using some of that old fashion leftist
>rhetoric again. You know plain words like greed, pig, capital, power,
>exploitation, and oppression. And definitely stop using words like
>trade, global, and free.

There's a lot of that going around. This afternoon brought the stunning sight of AFSCME's Gerald McEntee urging us to "name the system," and a largely union crowd cheering a South African miner saying "as Marx said, workers of the world unite!" There's many a slip, etc. etc., but I'm moved.

Doug