seattle

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 07:47:21 PST 1999

>This is how it begins.
>
>My first year in college I was in a big history lecture course.
>It was 1967. Maybe 200 freshmen. Two guys had long hair.
>The ancient but feisty prof openly made fun of them, calling
>them women etc. One of them was a sort of beach boy type
>and people left him alone. The other was not. We all called
>him "The Flit."
>
>Two years later, *everybody* was The Flit.
>
>The chaotic diversity of this movement is perfect for the
>mass production of radicals. There are a hundred ways
>into this struggle. The question will be whether it frays
>at the other end as well.
>
>mbs

Right you are, Max. As I've said here before, the mass antiwar demonstrations in Washington in November 1969 were one of the high points of my life. It is tremendously moving to see the same kind of fervor and diversity now brought to bear against the WTO. I wish the demonstrators in Seattle all the best and hope that this is indeed the start of something big.

Carl