FW: Reclaim Downtown

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:05:39 PST 1999

Lee Cassutt wrote:

> Now it's time to reclaim downtown and let the merchants and
> businesses who were vandalized (usually, an uninsurable loss) and whose
> revenues evaporated, know that we're there for them.

It varies from time to time and from city to city, but in most cities the "downtown merchants" are one of the more important pressure groups at the municipal level, and it is not illegitimate and perhaps desirable that they should be held responsible for the actions of the city government (which in turn should be held responsible for the actions of the police).

I certainly would not favor (were I a resident of Seattle) any collective action to further harm the downtown merchants, but I certainly would not go out of my way to help them either.

All and all this is a strange post.

Carrol