Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

kelley oudies at flash.net
Fri Dec 3 14:06:06 PST 1999

katha, i know you don't have time, but please read the message rakesh forwarded to me. [same subject heading or similar[ then you might want to check out the archives of 10/16 and a few days before where rakesh maintained that i was an anti feminist because i didn't critique spivak and eagleton's review in just the right way. i responded to rakesh's attack on me first which i felt was extremely uncalled for. i consider offlist flammage uncalled for to begin with and i'd say that calling me ignorant over and over is uncalled for. i'm defending myself against rakesh's crap.

he's an identity cop insofar as he's maintaining that he find my list persona confusing and not convicind as if he has some right to tell me how to behave and as if i'm supposed to be coherent for him. i call that policing my identity.