Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Fri Dec 3 12:49:50 PST 1999

I just want to say I am bewildered by Kelley's attacks on Rakesh. I know him pretty well personally, in real life, I mean, and have talked about all these issues with him for hours and hours. He is NOT an anti-feminist. He is NOT an "identity cop." Quite the contrary -- Rakesh always opposes the "you have to be black/female/gay etc to talk speak about issues of blackness, femaleness, gayness" style of argument-- the argument of authority from identity, which, in my view, has been a real disaster for left politics.

Katha