Seattle cops

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 5 19:32:58 PST 1999

I've been pretty out of touch, so I don't know if this has gotten wide coverage. If it has, my apologies. But yesterday's Seattle Post-Intelligencer had an interview with a cop who said that Mayor Paul Schell was convinced nothing terrible would happen, and wanted to carry off the WTO meeting with a minimal police presence. The city was grossly understocked with tear gas and pepper spray, and refused offers of outside help from other police forces and the governor.

There's something to be said for liberals. Had Rudy Giuliani been running the show there would have been nothing: he would have surrounded downtown with tens of thousands of cops, denied all parade permits, and, on the off chance that something happened, would have had heads cracked more quickly and more severely than we saw on Tuesday and Wednesday. No doubt other authorities will lean towards the Rudy approach after the events of the past week.

Doug