two views on Seattle

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sun Dec 5 21:35:40 PST 1999

Jeff, one thing here on the flat rolled situation. The price of flat rolled went as low as 11 cents a pound in the last year. If you go to a large discount hardware and buy a 2'x2' piece of let's say light guage sheet metal you will pay about $8 dollars. What's wrong with this picture, how does 22 cents become $8 dollars? If your a smart shopper you will go to the furnace department and buy a piece of furnace duct the same size and guage for $2 or $3dollars and trim the lock seams off of it.

The 158% increase equates to around 28 cents a pound. This past summer bananas were selling for around 22 cents a pound! I believe it was Counterpunch that pointed out the fact that the big banana corporation had made a sizeable political contribution in order to get their case heard in a European export trade dispute?

Don't let anyone kid you the Russians know how to make high quality steel; with old time methods and no pollution control. I personally have a lot of empathy for the Russian steelworkers--the chances of them ever seeing anything out of their hard work is slim or none and not because of a level world steel playing field!

Tom