two views on Seattle

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 5 10:34:38 PST 1999

Max wrote:
>All other contending animosities aside, I'd like
>to say that I think the article had one good point:
>both wings of the protest would have benefitted
>if the labor march joined the sit-downers. It
>would probably have reduced police violence and
>maybe discouraged window-breaking. The sit-down
>would have been much more solid. And there is
>nothing about such a move that betokens a
>"pre-revolutionary situation." For gosh
>sakes, marching across town and sitting
>in an intersection is a long way from
>the Paris Commune.

I agree with Max here. Also, the media coverage might have been better if the labor march had been together with the sit-downers, in that (at least some) pix would have had to show a wider variety of faces standing together in opposition to the WTO. Would have made a different impression than the most of the photos carried by the media, which mainly focused on the visual drama of cops versus youths.

Yoshie