Nader & Co.

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Dec 6 07:11:40 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I think the effort by "responsible" sorts to distance themselves from
> "anarchists" - said with a sneer, as a cussword - is pretty awful. I
> wouldn't call myself an anarchist, but I have lots of sympathy for
> the position, and I think there's a lot in Marx that's compatible
> with anarchism. What's all that stuff about the withering away of the
> state and the "free association of producers" all about if it isn't
> about some kind of anarchism?

What bugged me is that people were dissing other protestors on camera, while the events were unfolding. That was pretty cool. We should have this discussion AFTER the events, when tempers are a bit cooler.

I haven't read any Marx, but I do respect the writings I've read of some of the anti-authoritarian Marxists. One of these days I'll find the time to read the "classics."

Oh, let me plug James C. Scott's "Seeing like a state," which I'm currently reading. He's really critical of high modernist authoritarian attempts to remake societies. Special focus is given to Le Corbusier, the Soviet Union, and compulsory villagization in Tanzania.

-- Chuck0

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month Executive Clemency For Peltier! http://www.freepeltier.org/lpfreedommonth.html

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Now! http://www.infoshop.org/gulag/mumia_idx.html

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe