Nader & Co.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 5 21:35:36 PST 1999

Chuck0 wrote:

>I agree, but the anti-anarchist quotes coming out of Dolan's mouth were
>pretty stupid. We'll respond to him in writing. Heaps of admiration
>should go to all groups and individuals who contributed to the week of
>resistance in Seattle.

There were lots of people who deserve heaps of praise & gratitude. I singled out the Naderites because I've been hard on them in the past, and wanted to give credit where it's due.

>I have alot of respect for the Nader people. After all, one of their
>workers hangs out with us anarchists in D.C. We were partying last night
>and were very pleased to see her after she came straight from the
>airport. We were in the middle of watching all the corporate news
>coverage of Seattle, so it was really good timing when she walked in.

I think the effort by "responsible" sorts to distance themselves from "anarchists" - said with a sneer, as a cussword - is pretty awful. I wouldn't call myself an anarchist, but I have lots of sympathy for the position, and I think there's a lot in Marx that's compatible with anarchism. What's all that stuff about the withering away of the state and the "free association of producers" all about if it isn't about some kind of anarchism?

Dolan did work closely with the Direct Action Network people in planning the events, or so I'm told.

Doug