anarchism

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Mon Dec 6 10:16:12 PST 1999

charles wrote:

>the people's anti-transnational monopoly<

that's 'global resistance to global capital' to you, comrade.

yoshie wrote:

>How do anarchists respond politically and philosophically to the
neoliberal agenda (less social investment by the government, less regulations of capitalists' freedoms, etc.)?<

how does anyone respond to what's happening around them?

there's something a little parasitical about orienting one's polemic to whatever has some life in the hope of extracting some apparently enjoyable political points or to make oneself feel alive. it should have been embarassing enough to go through the archives and see how many people (and who) were even paying attention. of course, it is possible to hide one's embarassment and call it all 'symbolic'...

the problems with anarchism are numerous, but it's as diverse a set of positions as marxism is, or else we'd all be lumbered with absurdities. (and to katha: many anarchists as well as marxists advance all sorts of essentialising positions, including humanism, of the rousseauan kind or no -- unfortunately. and as miles astutely notes, the rhetorical force of 'nature' seems to be a fairly tempting one all round.)

so, to return to the question, how does anyone respond to what's happening? look around you: capitalists have more freedom, we have less. the latter unfreedom is organised through the state. i could cite examples of anything from the expansion of the scope of criminalisation, the role of the state in migration these last few years, laws relating to unions, and so on. maybe you didn't notice the state of emergency in seattle, but that would be supposing an amazing degree of blindness.

Angela _________