Seattle, finally

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Dec 6 14:55:45 PST 1999

Were you there? I had actually returned to Berkeley at the time of the conflagration. I led the march to the pier. When the police stopped us, I told the owner of the restaurant on the pier, George -- I don't remember his last name -- that my father-in-law was an Italian chef, which he was, and it we wanted to visit his restaurant. He started swearing about hippies and stuff, but I totally really wanted to go to the restaurant and mentioned some Italian dishes and he let us go ahead through the police line.

The Santa Barbara police seem very nervous and ready to over react. Once we were on the pier, they couldn't remove us because we had permission to enter. We didn't know that an expected to be arrested.

The next day there was a big ruckus on-campus -- bus loads of police and the like. That night, the bank burned. Lots of other stuff happened during the previous two days. For example, I told Jesse Unruh in front of the New York Times reporter that I heard that some people wanted to burn the pier down. I asked for his advice and he said that arson was bad, but he would support us sit in. Later, I told everybody that we were acting in Jesse's name. I found that hilarious. When I went back to try to get him to join us, I couldn't find him.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901