Grumpy lefties, myself included

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Mon Dec 6 23:33:37 PST 1999

> Anyway, for a change of pace or as Monty Python used to say, "And Now
>For Something Completely Different..." I'll make my next post
>to lbo my favorite rock albums of '99, a few with political subtexts, most
>just joyful noise, that as the MC5 said, "Kick Out The Jams." Fellow
>lbo'ers, think about your favs of '99, since no one, even left
>intellectuals, is too old to rock!
> Michael Pugliese

I Iike Stereolab's _Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night _

I saw their sold-out show tonight in Chicago; they play again tomorrow. One of the opening bands played the Byrd's Turn, Turn, Turn song sans vocals.

Off of Cobra, Stereolab played "op hop detonation" http://www.koly.com/stereolab/songs/index.html

suffer you little children, remain passive and fearful suffer don't grow out of it revel, and let's celebrate the poor love of this poor world the sad love the vampire

suffer you little children, remain passive and fearful suffer don't grow out of it revel, and let's celebrate the poor love of this poor world the sad love the vampire

we who're young and beautiful we who can stand up and walk our lives we will learn to control we who're young and beautiful respond revolution when we hear the word suffering

???? learn to control we who're young and beautiful respond with revolution when we hear the word suffering we who're young and beautiful we who can stand up and walk our lives we will learn to control we who're young and beautiful respond revolution when we hear the word suffering -------

They didn't play "The Noise Of Carpet" however ------

i hate to see your broken face this world would give you anything as long as you will want to as long as you will want to i hate your state of hopelessness and that vain articulateness your loser type wreck wanna be not a pretty sight really in another world it'd be funny

i hate to see your broken face a lazy life of fatal waste of fashionable cynicism the poison they want you to drink oh no man that's too easy oh no man that's too easy we weren't talking bout happiness apply your leading potential to be useful to this planet the world would give you anything as long as you will want to as long as you will want to

ba da ba... ------------------- But they did play an old tune "The Seeming and the Meaning"

Everything becomes so defined That in the end there's no definition They do not mean a thing They do not tell a story We communicate more and more In more defined ways than ever before But no one was got anything to say It's all very poor it's all just a bore

Someone has got to make the difference Between the seeming and the meaning

The seeming over runs the meaning