anarchism

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Tue Dec 7 03:02:02 PST 1999

G'day Doug,

I agree entirely with the Butler quote (it certainly never pissed me off), agree entirely with your hopes for this list, agree entirely with you about Seattle, and agree decisively with the likes of the young Habermas (who called pomo 'new conservatism'), Alex Callinicos (who suggested pomo was effectively a 'lie back and enjoy capitalism' project), Terry Eagleton (who reckons to deny essence and history is to lose your politics) and Perry Anderson (who follows Berman in defining modernism as the project of men and women consciously to take a hand in changing the world that is changing them and asks us not to lose sight of this progressive metanarrative) on what the postmodernist social theory enterprise actually entails. Can this be, d'ya think?

Cheers, Rob.

You'd written: