Race Evolution & Behavior

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Dec 7 06:26:01 PST 1999

On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 14:16:29 -0800 Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> writes:
>Kelley:
>> was transaction ever connected with telos?
> Missed that when it first appeared. Thanks to Michael Hoover, for
>his
>comments, to which I'd add, that when Telos was based in St. Louis, at
>Washington University, Sociology Dept. where I.L. Horowitz was Dept.
>chair,
>relations between the Telosians and Horowitz were far from collegial.
>When
>the lefties at the Sociology Dept. were purged, and Paul Piccone
>didn't get
>the tenure he deserved he moved Telos to NYC.
> Horowitz is a card for sure. Now he contributes to Commentary and
>that
>journal the neo-con, National Academy of Scholars, put out, Academic
>Contentions(???).
>Across the room in my bookstacks, I have his edited collection of C.
>W.
>Mills essays. I even remember that he wrote a few pieces for the Old
>Left
>journal, Science & Society in the 50's, but so did A.James Gregor, who
>really is a diehard believer in eugenics and the whole
>Rushton/Schockley/Bell Curve racist BS. For details on Gregor cf. the
>web
>site of the
>Institute for the Academic Study of Racism. Gregor has taught in the
>PoliSci
>Dept. at Cal. Berkeley, which except for Michael Rogin, was/is(???)
>right-wingers and Cold War Libs. He has a book with the delicious
>title,
>"The Fascist Persuasion In Radical Politics," which one of these days
>I'll
>give a look see to.
> Michael Pugliese

Concerning A. James Gregor, back in the '60s he wrote *A Survey of Marxism: Problems in Philosophy and the Theory of History* which is a reasonably competent survey exposition of Marxist thought with particular emphasis on the intellectual development of Marx & Engels and on Soviet philosophy. He also had some interesting things to say on the role of Pavlov's psychology in Soviet Marxism-Leninism. The book cover's profile of Gregor mentions that he had published articles in Science & Society amongst other places which is curious given his more current far right associations. He is also described as having served as a lecturer on Marxism for the Peace Corps. Apparently this guy has always had interesting associations. On the basis of a web search I learned that he is considered a leading revisionist historian of Mussolini and Italian Fascism which he regards as having been a genuinely revolutionary movement with a rigorous and compelling intellectual foundation. Apparently for Gregor, old Benito wasn't such a bad guy. Gregor is also the author of a number of academic studies of US foreign policy in relation to such areas as China and Taiwan and Yugoslavia.

Jim Farmelant