Wittgenstein, Anyone? (was Re: Katha Pollitt in Free Inquiry)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 7 09:16:48 PST 1999

Daniel Davies wrote:
>I suspect it was not the first time he had used the joke. I got my own
>back later by writing a paper on Wittgenstein -- 10 sides of A4, in rhyming
>couplets.

I finally got around to reading David Rubinstein's _Marx and Wittgenstein: Social Praxis and Social Explanation_ (London & Boston: Routledge & Kagan Paul, 1981), a book that James Farmelant mentioned a couple of years ago (?) on another list. Rubinstein says that there are substantial parallels between Marx and Wittgenstein; and he applies a synthesis of these two to a variety of philosophical disputes over the character of social sciences.

Yoshie