nz greens

ssherman ssherman at gborocollege.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:34:19 PST 1999

I thought people might find the following exchange between me and the New York Times News Editor amusing. So much for objective reporting!

Steven Sherman

At 10:54 AM 12/3/99 -0500, you wrote: To the Times Ombudsman:

I think the headline: Street Rage: Dark Parallels... over a largely intelligent exploration of the anarchist subculture in Oregon and Seattle was quite questionable. It evoked things like Columbine when actually your reporter suggested that, however controversial their positions protest tactics are, these are well-read, thoughtful young men and women committed to living life in line with their views.

>Steven Sherman, ph.D

>Greensboro College

>336-315-2194

Dear Dr. Sherman:

Sorry, but I cannot agree with you. Perhaps they are well read and thoughtful, but what they did looks to me like street rage. And there is nothing "controversial" about looking and wrecking stores. It's generally regarded as flat-out wrong thing to do. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But thanks for writing.

Bill Borders, news editor, The New York Times.