Is the Coalition Falling Apart?

ssherman ssherman at gborocollege.edu
Thu Dec 9 07:14:09 PST 1999

Has anyone considered whether there is any room for African Americans in this emergent labor-environmental coalition? I mean as a political force, not impugning the character of any protester or groups of protesters. Its just the coalition that defined the great society era Democratic party left was labor/blacks. Now that the left (again, as political force, not petty sectarians) seems to finally be preparing to redefine itself, is it planning to go this time without them? I'm not sure I'm convinced that a green coalition is as potent as a rainbow.

Steven Sherman