Is the Coalition Falling Apart?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 9 07:40:09 PST 1999

ssherman wrote:

>Has anyone considered whether there is any room for African Americans in this
>emergent labor-environmental coalition?

Damn, I sure hope so; if there isn't, it isn't worth much. If I were an organizer, I'd want to be bringing in environmental justice people, since most of the toxic waste they fight against is produced by WTO-loving multinationals. Unions, despite their often sorry record on anti-racist politics, probably do help African-Americans more than white workers (unorganized workers are more likely to suffer employment discrimination). And polls show black Americans more pro-union than white ones.

Doug