[Fwd: Ceremonies of Innocence, or, a Secret Affinity with the Lynchers]

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 10 08:13:50 PST 1999

At 08:32 AM 12/9/99 -0800, Brad de Long wrote:
>>no one i've read has spoken
>>of atoning, no one has said "americanism" is to be embraced, said they
>>were "horrified" by Julius Rosenberg's act,
>
>Well I will. I *am* horrified by Julius Rosenberg's act. Certainly
>Hitler is number 1 bad guy of this century. But history and all of
>Lenin's other close associates attest that Stalin is number 2.
>
>To work to give the #2 bad guy in the twentieth century access to
>nuclear weapons seems to me to be a horrifying act.

So where is the United States - which is so far the only country that *has actually used* nuclear weapons, and against unarmed civilians on the top of it - on your list?

General George Lee Butler, the former commander of the US Strategic Command, once remarked that "the United States abandoned the difficult intellectual work of trying to understand the motivation of [the USSR and its allies] in favor of simple demonization of [them]." Professor deLong seem to be well embedded in that American simple mindedness.

wojtek sokolowski