Stalinism (was Re: Anti-Democratic America)

Fri Dec 10 09:17:37 PST 1999

See Khrushev's speech on Stalin's crimes. I by and large accept that denunciation of Stalin. Supporting the Soviet Union in WWII does not imply support for Stalin's crimes. So, no I do not "support" or I do denounce Stalin and the Stalinists for the muders of Bolsheviks , including Trotsky. I am not a Stalinist, but I don't buy the many anti-Soviet versions of the specifics of Stalin's crimes. For example, pertinent to this thread, I don't think Stalinism was imperialism. The crimes were against internal opponents of Stalin.

However, I do think the German-SU non-aggression pact was for purposes of buying time from the Soviets's standpoint.

CB

>>> "Mr P.A. Van Heusden" <pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> 12/10/99 11:04AM >>>
Maybe the fact that Anarchists and Stalinists (alongside all sorts of other trends of thought) can share space on this list is testimony both to Doug's role as moderator, and to the nature of the times...

I don't particularly want to get into a long argument about Stalin and Stalinism, but I was just wondering: Charles, what is your opinion of the Moscow Trials? Do you think the execution of Old Bolsheviks was a 'necessary evil'? And what do you think of Trotsky - was he, as Stalin claimed, a counter-revolutionary? Should he have been murdered?

Peter -- Peter van Heusden : pvanheus at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk : PGP key available Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower. - Karl Marx

NOTE: I do not speak for the HGMP or the MRC.