dead topix - offlist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Dec 10 10:31:12 PST 1999

Brett Knowlton wrote:

>I will, of course, respect the wishes of the moderator. But I disagree
>with you on this.
>
>When I see someone try to rationalize aggression as some kind of defensive
>action, it really pisses me off. How is defending soviet violence any
>different from defending US aggression?
>
>I've seen Brad get bopped on the head, and rightfully so, when he hems and
>haws over US support of fascist and/or brutal authoritarian leaders after
>WWII and during the cold war. Sometimes you're the one doing the bopping.
>Those things happened a long time ago too.
>
>I don't see any difference between the two cases, except perhaps that
>people who apologize for Soviet violence are considered to be on the left.
>
>I guess I had to get that off my chest.

Though this was intended to be offlist, obviously it wasn't. A letter always reaches its destination, as that French guy said.

It's not that there aren't serious matters at stake, it's just that these conversations are so ancient, and minds are never changed. It's just a waste of time to rehash these controversies.

Doug