Kollontai, Etc.: To John Mage

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 11 11:57:27 PST 1999

John Mage wrote:
>Yoshie...thanks for the right Rose Tree. I'm a bit abashed that my cite to
>the ancient pun on Steffens could be thought to be giving aid and comfort
>to the coldwarliberalcrap that suddenly emerged here.

Cold War liberalism is the Undead that haunts the American political common sense, and, alas, we got no silver bullet to slay it once and for all. Thanks for your wonderful post on Kollontai. (An aside to Doug -- Gayatri Spivak has an article titled "On Aleksandra Kollontai" in _The Minnesota Review_ 20 [Spring 1983]: 93-102.)

>Nice that the croat nationalist criminal Tudjman is dead.

Yes. It is to be regretted that he died of a natural cause.

I hope that Benjamin's angel of history will redeem the spirit of the Partisans buried under the wreckage of Yugoslavia.

Here's to the Rosenbergs and all who died for an emancipated future:

***** Emily Dickinson

For each ecstatic instant We must an anguish pay In keen and quivering ratio To the ecstasy.

For each beloved hour Sharp pittances of years -- Bitter contested farthings -- And Coffers heaped with Tears! *****

And for you and others who want to make the right Rose Tree:

***** Dickinson

Our share of night to bear -- Our share of morning -- Our blank in bliss to fill Our blank in scorning --

Here a star, and there a star, Some lose their way! Here a mist, and there a mist, Afterwards -- Day! *****

Yoshie