What the heck?

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Sun Dec 12 05:22:21 PST 1999

> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:09:41 GMT
> From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>

> What's going on, I think, is that the great U.S. bull
> market, the one that began on August 13, 1982, is showing
> signs of old age. It's taking as long to die as Brezhnev,
> and I can't decide whether it will go out with a bang or
> a whimper, but it sure seems to be going out.
>
> For those of you keeping track, in the 7 weeks since Doug said
> this, the OEX is up 100 points, a 15% move. In fact, he called a

it's easy to tell that you're young, jordan: you speak with the premature valedictorian tone on which infants of the reagan-bush years were weaned. poorly, i'll add. y'all have a nasty habit of whining up a storm when things don't pan out the way you feel in your bones they ought to. why? because, like your soulmates, you make a blustery business of interpreting contingent gains as te- leological proof of your ideologies. contingencies that benefit are more than merely contingent, they gesture in the direction of some higher truth, whereas those which don't are somehow even less than contingent--they're inexplicable.

it's quite possible that you're correct in the sense that the markets will continue to rise for longer than any bear can bear. it's also quite possible that you're wrong. if your goal is just to cop as many bucks as possible in the short-term, fine, but do shut up about it. if your goal is something bigger, though, then maybe talk about that.

cheers, t