Seattle on Pacifica

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Mon Dec 13 07:47:25 PST 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, John Halle wrote:

> So I return to the original question. If the local stations
> are dominated by yuppies and wankers why the howls of
> protest from Herman, Albert, Cockburn, Normon Solomon, et.
> al. when Pacifica tried to impose national programming such
> as Democracy Now on the local stations? It seems the locals
> are plenty NPRized already.

I don't understand your question. I'm not aware of Herman, Albert, etc. howling about Democracy Now being forced on the locals. I know I don't mind it being forced on the locals, I think it is a fine show.

In a previous message you said something like: "well never mind the locals not carrying RadioNation, the locals should have covered the WTO themselves". Well I've finally stopped laughing so I can reply. KPFT has no news department or staff nor any public affairs dept. The only locally produced public affairs programing is a one hour show called "Progressive Forum" (which is pretty good). They covered Seattle, but by remote control and without many resources.

There is a pretty poor les/bi/gay/transg show that runs towards a HRC view of politics and chatty banter about local social scene stuff.

There is the Prison Show which is very good and a very valuble service to the residents of the Texas Gulag.

There is a so-so African show which is part music part current affairs. It's very uneven but is sometime surprsingly good.

That is all the non-music locally produced programming from KPFT. National stuff is Democracy Now, CounterSpin, Pacifica Network News. Contra what I said in my last post, RadioNation is back on again (they jerk around with the schedule constantly and without notice). The one that was on this Sunday night was a pre-Seattle one that had Doug on it.

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com