US labor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 13 11:48:13 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> . And the bus drivers could just let people walk on.

This happens. At a march and rally in Oct. of '69 which ended out at the Cook County Jail the cops tried to fuck us up on our return from it by shifting the bus lines over one block. When we latched on to that and caught the first of two buses we needed, the cops started blocking the buses we needed to transfer to from picking any one up. Several drivers (all black -- we were mostly white) stopped in the middle of the block for us, simply waving our transfers aside to speed things up. This was with a squad car parked next to them urging them to move on.

This was a bit more than a mere convenience. It was getting dark, and we were walking through a most unpleasant district. There could have been trouble had the bus drivers not helped us.

(Incidentally, for those who get all edgy about black only organizations. On the whole the black districts in Chicago that were safest for whites were those where the Panthers had done a good deal of organizing. We were walking in an area where the Panthers had *not* been busy.)

Carrol