Malthusians on the March

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 14 14:15:57 PST 1999

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Interesting - wetlands and forests are cleared to acommodate poipulation
>growth rather than suburban sprawl. Of course nobody mentioned the fact
>that those who move to these developments that consume our wetlands and
>forests and not poor immigrants but middle-classers who escape cities. Of
>course, a much easier solution to these problems would be stopping suburban
>sprawl, urban redevelopment, gasoline tax etc.

No kidding. It's especially rich coming from Aspen, a place of great natural beauty that has been savagely developed over the last couple of decades to accommodate some of the world's most intense overconsumers. I'd love to see these folks sentenced to work at a municipal recycling facility for a few years.

Doug