Malthusians on the March

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Dec 14 14:14:27 PST 1999

At 12:52 PM 12/14/99 -0800, Jeffrey St. Clair quoted:
>> City of Aspen ,Colorado
>> RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF U.S. POPULATION STABILIZATION

---snip

>> WHEREAS: The ability of the United States to support a population
>within
>> its
>> carrying capacity is now strained because of population growth. Fifty
>> percent
>> of our original wetlands have been drained to accommodate growth.
>> (Environmental Protection Agency) Ninety-five percent of all U.S. old
>
>> growth
>> forests have been destroyed. (Save American Forests) It is estimated
>that
>> we
>> have consumed approximately three-fourths of all our recoverable
>> petroleum,
>> and we now import more than half of the oil we consume in the United
>> States.
>> (Dr. Albert Bartlett) America's underground aquifers are being drawn
>down
>> 23
>> percent more than their natural rates of recharge. (David Durham,
>Carrying
>> Capacity Network)
>>
>> WHEREAS: For each person added to the U.S. population, about one acre
>of
>> open
>> land is lost, causing a total yearly loss of about three million
>acres.
>> America annually exports $40 Billion in food. If present population
>trends
>> continue, the U.S. will cease to be a food exporter by about 2030.
>(Dr.
>> David
>> Pimentel, Cornell University)

--- snip

Interesting - wetlands and forests are cleared to acommodate poipulation growth rather than suburban sprawl. Of course nobody mentioned the fact that those who move to these developments that consume our wetlands and forests and not poor immigrants but middle-classers who escape cities. Of course, a much easier solution to these problems would be stopping suburban sprawl, urban redevelopment, gasoline tax etc.

Just wondering if our friends on the audubon-chat list noticed that peculiar logic and hypocrisy of our so-called 'elected representatives' or they are completely brain dead and swallow what the government and corporations sponn-feed them?

wojtek