Great Cockburn/St. Clair piece on Seattle

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Wed Dec 15 10:55:07 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Nichols, who co-hosted the RadioNation broadcasts from Seattle
> and has written about the events for the magazine, responds:
> But mine seems to be a minority view.

One can only hope this is true, but the solidarity of TeamNation is touching.

> Tragically, I
> >have even heard Direct Action folks attacking the Eugene Anarchists recently.

It's better than "informing" on them to the police, which is what the Dolan/Medea Benjamin crowd seems to have done, according to Stamper's recent commentary.

> >When all is said and done, I am sure that all the backbiting is making the
> >folks in Geneva rest a little easier -- suggesting, as it does, that the
> >left does not even know how to claim victory.

The problem is that the Left is always claiming victory for battles it barely fought and so quickly gives away. This is the story of the Left during the Age of Clinton.