Sniff. Sniff.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 16 10:11:46 PST 1999

Jeffrey St. Clair wrote:

>"Portions of U.S. organized labor are showing the most
>internationalism they have in my memory, which, despite my advancing
>age, is still a fairly limited range. These signs should be
>encouraged, and not disparaged. Hoffa's Mexico- and China-bashing
>deserve nothing but scorn, but for a movement that was long a junior
>partner in the Cold War, this is progress."

Isn't it? Damn, even Angela thinks so, and she's no friend of social democracy or union hackery.

> But
>it sure strikes me as odd to hear people like the RadioNation Squad
>endorse, for
>example, Gerald McEntee's crystal-meth performance at the Labor Parade, where
>the guy quoted Carl Oglesby at the same time he has endorsed for
>president a man
>that is far to the right of Humbert Humphrey or even LBJ. Where I
>come from they
>call that a Scam Artist. Herman Melville wrote all about it in what I think is
>his best book: the Confidence Man.

There's something we can agree on; I love that book.

But I don't see the union's position as quite so devious. I think there are genuine splits and genuine contradictions in their position. I'm all for encouraging them.

Doug