Fwd: 1999-12-15 Statement by the President on Charles Schulz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 08:47:59 PST 1999

>Schulz was actually a brilliant artist, and
>created one of the most radical aesthetic documents of the mid-Sixties; he
>got real corporate in the Seventies, of course, but there was a solid core
>to his work, a resistance to the existential anomie of suburbanization and
>consumerism, which you don't find in lesser strips.

IMO, Schulz offered nothing but sappy style and sentiments. I really came to loathe Peanuts. Whatever "resistance" to consumerism Schulz may have offered in the early days was far, far offset by his relentless merchandising of more recent times. The Minneapolis Star Tribune today notes that Peanuts is "the basis of a franchise that collects $1 billion a year." The paper also has this heart-rending comment: "The only child of a St. Paul barber, Schulz spent his first 36 years in the Twin Cities. The Depression years were some terrible times, he told a Star Tribune reporter two years ago. The $20 million a year he grossed later couldn't erase the too-many pancake dinners of his childhood." No, I guess it would take a hundred million bucks a year, or more, to compensate for that trauma.