Sierra Club On It's WTO Activities

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Dec 17 13:34:01 PST 1999

Doug,

I'm afraid that "speaking very slowly" when one wishes to respond to somebody by telling them that they don't know nothin' about nothin' is pretty pathetic. I agree that you have presented some good evidence about more general international organized labor support for demanding that the WTO push labor standards (which I am for, btw).

But, you have failed to provide any evidence for any of your other claims. It is fine to say that people in Seattle are part of a bigger movement or that they all have fine thoughts about how wrong US policies are. But, it remains very bizarre that all the policies that anybody brought up publicly in Seattle involved, again, I am speaking VERY SLOWLY now, only policies where some poor foreign country was the alleged offender against either a US domestic law or the demand of a US-based special interest group were protested. I fully sympathize with the annoyance of Third World trade ministers (yes, I know, by definition all compador capitalists) when confronted with one-sided rantings about sea turtles, etc. in the streets of Seattle. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, December 17, 1999 4:24 PM Subject: Re: Sierra Club On It's WTO Activities