Sierra Club On It's WTO Activities

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Sat Dec 18 02:47:13 PST 1999

On 17 Dec 99, at 16:34, J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:
> But, it remains very bizarre that all the policies that anybody
> brought up publicly in Seattle involved, again, I am speaking
> VERY SLOWLY now,

Comrade Barkley, Doug's right. You were watching (or thinking) very slowly (and from a long way away it sounds like, further even than me in Johannesburg). Let us know if it would help bring you up to speed a bit, for us to forward you the incredibly dynamic South material produced by *and protested on behalf of* millions of anti- WTO activists for whom a Seattle plane/hotel bill would have cost a few years' worth of work (and no, that doesn't include the labaristocracy-infected ICFTU, Doug). The South leaders and spokespeople who went to Seattle were -- as far as I hear -- absolutely delighted by all the activism and networking, save perhaps the misguided social/labour clause advocacy (which in any case wasn't a mass thing but rather techno-advocacy).

(My friends at Alternative Information and Development Centre have lots of links: http://aidc.org.za )

Patrick Bond (Wits University Graduate School of Public and Development Management) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, Johannesburg office: 22 Gordon Building, Wits University Parktown Campus mailing address: PO Box 601 WITS 2050 phones: (h) (2711) 614-8088; (o) 488-5917; fax 484-2729 emails: (h) pbond at wn.apc.org; (o) bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za