From the Horse's Mouth

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Dec 20 10:53:16 PST 1999

I took a quick spin thru the Teamsters' web site. Highly inspiring. No trace of chauvinism. Check for yourself, at www.teamster.org.

Here's a juicey quote from a Hoffa appearance on CNN w/Novak and Al Hunt:

" . . . You know, another thing that I think is going on that I'd like to

talk about is the fact that look at this movement out there. This reminded me of the 1960s, the anti-Vietnam War

demonstrations. Do we have the beginning of a whole new

movement in this country with organized labor working with

environmentalists against multinational corporations?

I see the beginning of this, and I think that from here on out

this is going to be a coalition that's going to have to be dealt with, that's going to play a role in any type of dealing with

China with regard to the normal trade relations, the NTR

debate that's coming up. I look for more demonstrations in

Washington to bring out people and say, Hey, this is a serious

problem, we're not buying it. . . . "

Elsewhere Junior has very kind words for Pat Buchanan. 94% of IBT political contributions have gone to Democrats. Hoffa is quite clear about helping the House of Reps go Democratic. IBT pointedly did not endorse Gore. What's going on?

In their own way, the IBT is doing what Jesse Jackson used to try to do -- threaten to divert their potential support to wrest concessions. Exactly what they should be doing (among other things). Clearly the IBT cannot threaten by saying nice things about some fringe left candidate (of which there are none right now). Dangling the threat of a PB endorsement may not be the optimal strategy, but it is a plausible one.

Doug among others has alluded to the mexican truck driver thing. I fail to see the slightest problem here. If we think trucks should be regulated for safety, what is the problem in objecting to unregulated trucks coming into the U.S.?

mbs