From the Horse's Mouth

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 20 13:17:31 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Doug among others has alluded to the mexican truck
>driver thing. I fail to see the slightest problem here.

It depends on how they spin it. It was the cover story in a recent ish of Teamster magazine. The cover and some of the pull quotes in the story played on all kinds of ancient fears about the Brown Hordes coming north, polluting our pure, great land with filth and drugs. But the story also professed solidarity with the crappy pay and working conditions Mexican truck drivers had to face. "Close the border to Mexican trucks" is a reprehensible slogan. "Stand in solidarity with Mexican truckdrivers," while a bit cliched, is at least more promising.

Doug