mfg working class

Tue Dec 21 11:40:38 PST 1999

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Carrol Cox wrote:

> My point was that it is crazy to pick out any one segment of the
> u.s. working class (which constitutes some 80%-90% of the
> population) as *alone* the source of militance. Your amendment
> is no improvement.

In the case of the US, the industries here would be everything from health care to steel to food catering to software houses--just as the wobblies define an industrial worker. I do think in the case of China however that an urbanized and concentrated working class able to idle hundreds of millions of dollars worth of machinery will be the real key to bringing the Chinese ruling class to its knees. If these workers are striking at a subsidiary of a corporation employees of whom then go on sympathy strikes in the imperialist countries, great pressure could be brought to bear on the company and the govts. The translator of Grossmann Jairus Banaji has studied such possibilities of Indo-Dutch cooperation.

yours, rakesh