Rudy v. Marxists --> is beauty for the wealthy

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Dec 21 12:59:40 PST 1999

Hey, do you know that from the mid-1980s, radical poli-econ geographers won this debate quite convincingly over previously- dominant cultural geographers -- essentially arguing that gentrification is a movement of capital first, then people, not the other way 'round (and demonstrating this through "rent gap" analysis, documenting redlining and other disinvestment processes, and tracking tax-arrear payments as a proxy for renewed speculative interest in blocks whose values had hit bottom prior to the reinvestment cycle) -- but just looking this morning at Neil Smith's very convincing The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City (Routledge 1996), I don't understand why that ex-Bal'morian, ex-Trot used to tear the Mercedes hood ornaments off cars parked in his target 'hoods, if his theory was true. Takes structure plus struggle, I guess. In Vancouver at a geographers' conference in 1997, Neil led the spray-painting team for the downtown fieldtrip; they had this excellent symbol of resistance borrowed from the Tompkins Square Park riot: a martini cocktail glass upside down with little drops coming out: party's over, yuppies, go 'way.